What IDE/EDITOR do you use for D?

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Oct 29 22:25:42 PDT 2014

On Wed, 29 Oct 2014 21:59:25 -0700
"H. S. Teoh via Digitalmars-d" <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Nowadays, it's all mostly muscle memory for me -- I don't even think
> about how to use it anymore, my fingers just "know" what to do to make a
> certain edit.
yeah, that is what i missing for now. i have to force myself to use vim
like i forced myself to use D some time ago. i was trying to drop D
each time i need to do something more complicated than
`writeln("hello world!")`, but resisting that desire. and now i have
the reverse effect: i want to drop C each time i must write something
with it. ;-) where is all my joy? where are my strings, slices,
templates, metaprogramming? and don't even show me that C macros
anymore! ;-)

> Yeah, metaprogramming r0x0r5. Especially in D, where it's actually
> beneficial to the code... as opposed to C++, where its leakiness makes
> it fragile and hard to understand, so much so that many C++ coders avoid
> templates and metaprogramming completely.
when i was using C++ i wasn't used templates alot. bits of STL here and
there, simple "generic" classes like lists and that's all.

and now with D i catching myself turning alot of my functions to
templates without double thinking. 'cause it's so easy, and "hey, this
function can operate on more that one data type, so let's turn it into
template!" back in time C++ wasn't able to autodeduce template
arguments, so calling templated functions was ugly. and with D it's
almost always a simple function call, so why not? simplified template
syntax also helps alot.

> [1] I did agree with avoiding iostream and using C's stdio instead,
> though. I've been doing that for years
me too. never was a fan of c++ streams.

> story, since we have typesafe writefln. And, to top it off, it sports
> some of the coolest print formatting features, especially %(...%) which
> can format a matrix of arbitrary user-defined types in a typesafe
> manner.  Total awesomeness.
yes, i love it too. plus 'writeln' reminds me my old Pascal days. ;-)

> And once I get some free time, I'm gonna take a shot at implementing
> compile-time checked format strings, which Andrei has already
> preapproved. D totally blows C++ out of the water with taking
> metaprogramming to whole new heights of cool, I tell ya.
i recently wrote a very simple static 'writef', which genertes mixin
with calls to posix `write()` and i really like it. nothing serious,
though, and not very clear code, but it was fun to do a bit of
functional programming again. ;-)