What IDE/EDITOR do you use for D?

eles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 30 03:18:25 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 at 09:39:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 October 2014 at 08:02:49 UTC, Paulo  Pinto
> wrote:
>>> 3. No non-const ref parameters to functions, use pointers.
>>> They want a visible "&" at call site for output parameters.
>>> e.g. "read(&var)" so that you don't have to look the function
>>> up in the docs.
>>>

>> Coming from a Quick/Turbo Basic/Turbo Pascal background, I
>> never understood the C culture about function parameters.
>>
>> Just another example of C being unsafe.
>
> C is unsafe, but it is desirable to make it visible at the call
> site that you are returning a value through a parameter.

"
Interviewer: Just a minute. What about references? You must
admit, you improved on 'C' pointers.

  Stroustrup: Hmm. I've always wondered about that. Originally, I
thought I had. Then, one day I was discussing this with a guy
who'd written C++ from the beginning. He said he could never
remember whether his variables were referenced or dereferenced,
so he always used pointers. He said the little asterisk always
reminded him..
"