What IDE/EDITOR do you use for D?

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 30 03:24:18 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 at 09:39:42 UTC, Ola Fosheim Grøstad
wrote:
> On Thursday, 30 October 2014 at 08:02:49 UTC, Paulo  Pinto
> wrote:
>>> 3. No non-const ref parameters to functions, use pointers.
>>> They want a visible "&" at call site for output parameters.
>>> e.g. "read(&var)" so that you don't have to look the function
>>> up in the docs.
>>>

>> Coming from a Quick/Turbo Basic/Turbo Pascal background, I
>> never understood the C culture about function parameters.
>>
>> Just another example of C being unsafe.
>
> C is unsafe, but it is desirable to make it visible at the call
> site that you are returning a value through a parameter. I
> think it is a good idea to create a special "zero-cost" wrapper
> type so that you write:
>
> copy_from_to( input, returns(output) )
>
> I noticed that c++11 has a ref() function:
>
> http://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/utility/functional/ref

In 30 years of coding I never found this to be a problem and it
saved a lot of bad pointers being passed on to functions.

Again, I am spoiled by better languages for systems programming,
even if the market has bet on C and its derivatives.

--
Paulo