C++ developer choices in open source projects

Atila Neves via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Oct 30 08:52:51 PDT 2014

>> The only two workplaces I was allowed to use C++ properly was
>> at CERN and at a startup on a C#/C integration project done
>> via Managed C++.

Well, at CERN, "allowed" mostly because nearly everybody writes
code for themselves only and people do whatever they want to do.
Never mind that there's no common CERN-wise codebase that isn't
called ROOT.

> CERN remains at the centre of so much good software
> development. Which
> is why they use Python.

Wait, what? Good software development? At CERN?? Really??? As a
friend of mine one put it:

"At CERN, 10% of people writing code know what they're doing, 45%
don't know what they're doing but are aware of it, and 45% don't
know what they're doing but think they do because software
development is 'so much easier than Physics'".

I've seen recently (as in weeks ago) written Python code from
ATLAS. It's so atrocious it doesn't even look like Python. Most
people I know still working at CERN don't even know what C++11
is, much less use it.

Atila