toString refactor in druntime

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 31 01:40:53 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 30 October 2014 at 20:15:36 UTC, Steven
Schveighoffer wrote:
> I think the above result is deceptive, and the test isn't very
> useful. The RuntimeString toString isn't a very interesting
> data point -- it's simply a single string. Not many cases are
> like that. Most types have multiple members, and it's the need
> to *construct* a string from that data which is usually the
> issue.
>
> But I would caution, the whole point of my query was about data
> on the platforms of which Manu speaks. That is, platforms that
> have issues dealing with virtual calls. x86 doesn't seem to be
> one of them.

OTOH, ArrayOfStrings shows that allocating is worse by several
orders of magnitudes. This will not change on any architecture.
And the simple sink variant is still faster than the rest by
almost an order of magnitude, this may also be unlikely to be
much different on these architectures.