BNF grammar for D?

Daniel Kozák via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Oct 31 05:02:52 PDT 2014

V Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:41:58 +0000
Bruno Medeiros via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> napsáno:

> On 27/10/2014 22:06, landaire wrote:
> > I'm trying to make a plugin for IntelliJ IDEA to support D
> > (https://github.com/landaire/intelliD is what I have now utilizing
> > DDT's lexer) but a lot of what's required to add advanced features
> > like code folding, code completion, etc. is generally autogenerated
> > by JetBrains's Grammar Kit plugin which only generates that stuff
> > from a BNF grammar.
>
> Nice to hear someone re-using DDT's DTool code for another tool.
> (it's called DTool BTW, not plugin_tooling - that's just the
> directory :P )
>
>  From https://github.com/landaire/intelliD:
> "Backported to JDK 6 as the module made heavy use of JDK 7 and JDK 6
> or lower is required for IntelliJ plugin development"
>
> WUT?? That is so backwards... I even have a hard time believing that.
> (I'm no IntelliJ expert so I don't know for sure what is the case).
> But JDK 6 is getting quite old, 7 has been out for some time now, and
> is already superseded by 8 (and 9 is being concocted as we speak -
> the pace of Java changes has picked up now that Oracle took charge)
>
> Are you really *sure* you can't write IntelliJ plugins with Java code
> using JDK 7 and above? IntelliJ is supposed to be Java IDE that is
> all fresh and up-to-date! (As opposed to Eclipse, whose code base has
> stagnated, I readily admit that, ;'( )

You can write intellij idea plugins with JDK 7 or even JDK 8, but that
plugins will only work with IDEA running on same version of JDK. You
must use same version for IDEA SDK and for IDEA itself. Currently
IDEA and all plugins are compatible with JDK 6, so this is why JDK 6 is
recommended.

At the moment many LTS linux distros has JDK 6 (ubuntu 12.04 LTS,
RedHat/CentOS 6). But ubuntu 14.04 and readhat/centos 7 are here now, so
maybe jdk7 will became recommended version soon.