[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 1 01:00:46 PDT 2014

On 9/1/2014 3:00 AM, ketmar via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 20:43:23 +0000
> Joakim via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
>
>> This is what guys like Stallman or ketmar don't seem to get, that
>> mixed-source still leads to _more_ open source
> which was used to produce vendor-locked smartphone.

Yea, a vendor-locked smartphone that still gives you far more freedoms
than iOS or WinRT ever will.

You're not seriously going to try to tell me that someone as pro-OSS as
you *genuinely* believes we'd be better off with an Apple monopoly, are
you? Because that's exactly what we'd have right now if Google had
insisted on 100% openness. *NO* vender would have touched it.

Besides, you *CAN* buy android smartphones that aren't service vendor
locked. Quite easily, in fact. You can even get one directly from
Google. Just don't expect the *vendor* to be one of the sellers.

> bwah, what's good in this "open source" then?

Seriously?

Go put your software and OS mods on an iPhone or WinRT and *then* try to
tell everyone that the open portions of Android don't do any good.

Are you trolling or just genuinely naive?

> "look but don't touch"?
>
> and i won't buy freedroid/cyanogen too: they are in the same jail due
> to hardware drivers (especially videodrivers), which are blobs again.
> yes, they can make workarounds, but... working on workarounds for
> proprietary software neither fun nor good.

And what phone do *you* use? Rotary? Telegraph? Even the cordless
landline phones have microcontrollers running closed-source firmware.

I don't like the proprietary crap any more than you do. But guess what?
You don't have a choice. It's either "partially closed" (android) or
"very closed" (everything else). Nothing else exists right now.