[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

monarch_dodra via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 1 02:43:14 PDT 2014

On Monday, 1 September 2014 at 05:56:33 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> What I don't intend to do is patent D's innovations. What D has
> done is our gift to the programming community. I'm also glad
> we're using github, as it is a fine way to document and
> timestamp the provenance of D's features.

Isn't there some way to "open source" a patent? Or at least, make
some sort of formal publication that this was invented, and may
not be patented by someone else?

Just because you don't want to "lock down" your inventions,
doesn't mean they are free to take...

Then again, it takes a certain kind of corporate greed to try to
put a patent on things we'd have never thought of as "inventions".

Did we patent UFCS yet? It's an invention.
How about CTFE? That seems like a *huge* invention?
What about generic tuples? No language I know of uses these.
Static if? Let's patent that too while we're at it.