[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 1 08:26:57 PDT 2014

On 1 September 2014 09:27, Nick Sabalausky via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I can't say I agree with that analogy, but maybe there are either regional
> or subcultural differences in the connotations of "open".
>
> I see "open" not as being a marketer buzzword, but as clear and concise way
> to not let Average Joe easily mistake it for meaning "free as in 'free
> beer'". The fact that we even have the whole "free as in..." thing at all
> indicates we've already *acknowledged* there's a communication problem with
> "free". OTOH, when you say "open", everyone knows what you mean. "Free"
> requires configuring while "Open" just works out-of-the-box. ;)

I should have said "More attractive to people in general".  Simply
your own comments about free software serves as a partial example of
my point.

Everyone knows what you mean when you say "Cloud" too.  Or at least,
they get the general idea. (Their heads may go dizzy when you drop
saas/paas on them).

Iain.