code cleanup in druntime and phobos

Iain Buclaw via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 1 09:30:01 PDT 2014

On 1 September 2014 17:11, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> "Walter Bright"  wrote in message news:ltvuu1$imf$1 at digitalmars.com...
>

>> d. making me create an account in order to submit the report
>

> Hmm, this is actually an argument in favour of migrating our issue tracking
> to github, as people are more likely to have an account there.
>

>> The end result of all this is I very rarely submit bug reports anymore. If
>> the maker makes it hard for me to submit one, I infer they don't want to
>> hear about bug reports, so why bother?
>>
>> (I also cannot recall any vendor actually fixing a bug I reported, EVER,
>> in 30 years.)
>

> This is my experience too, unless you count Digital Mars =)
>

>> Bottom line is, if someone wants to submit a patch via bugzilla, or even
>> email, we should be accommodating, or at least not blow him off. I've often
>> added Bugzilla issues for things I've received via email.
>

> Generally, patches in bugzilla just rot.  Letting potential contributors
> think their work won't be wasted if they submit it to bugzilla would most
> likely lead to disappointment.
>
> Copy-pasting a bug report into bugzilla is luckily a much less involved
> process than testing, presenting, updating and arguing for a pull request.

People have sent patches / raised bugs directly to me in the past.
Now *that* is rot.  I always forward them onto bugzilla because at
least then it's in a place where:

1) More than one person can read it, and potentially act upon it.
2) Much better todo list than searching through thousands upon
thousands of emails. :)