[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 1 10:21:46 PDT 2014

On Monday, 1 September 2014 at 09:48:10 UTC, Rikki Cattermole
wrote:
>> Did we patent UFCS yet? It's an invention.
>> How about CTFE? That seems like a *huge* invention?
>
> We didn't invent it. The only thing we did is make it as
> another part of the "normal" part of the language. LISP family
> of languages have had the ability to use CTFE for ages.
>
>> What about generic tuples? No language I know of uses these.
>> Static if? Let's patent that too while we're at it.

Yeah speaking about any kind of innovation in programming
language domain is usually completely meaningless. Many of
theoretical concepts come from as early as 60s-70s it just
happened that using them became feasible only recently. Any time
I am seeing someone trying to patent _ANY_ language feature I am
going to call it bullshit.