code cleanup in druntime and phobos

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 2 00:20:14 PDT 2014

On Monday, 1 September 2014 at 22:52:46 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/30/2014 7:37 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>> GitHub is an intrusive closed ecosystem and it is legitimate
>> concern for anyone caring about the open internet.
>
> How so? The github repositories are mirrored on my machine as
> git repositories.

git != GitHub

While you may still clone the repository there is no way to use
any of advanced / social features without creating GitHub account
and those features are exactly why it gets used. With no support
for anonymous / openID input it creates situation where you have
to chose - go with competitors and lose notable amount of
community attention or stay with GitHub even if actual
technological features provided are sub-par. In the end it
encourages harmful attitude "there is nothing outside the GitHub"
which of course benefits its owners much more than any actual
technological advantage.

It is nothing unique for GitHUb I can blame them for though -
this is how absolute majority of web services is built these days
and I don't see it changing without any government regulations.
Does mean I must like it.