Encapsulating trust

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 2 01:24:33 PDT 2014

On Tue, 02 Sep 2014 07:48:15 +0000
Dicebot via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> This is rather strict policy.
and that is why my "local D" diverges more and more from "mainline D".
'cause i know where to download C++ compiler if i want language which
not trying to make my life easier.

one of the main things that dragged me to D was "made by humans for
humans". and now D tries to wear C++ anti-human shoes -- exactly what i
wanted to avoid by "migrating to D".

D is far superior to C++, but D starting to make C++ mistakes. not
fixing legacy syntax, not adding new handy features, abusing keywords
(enum constants anyone? why 'enum'?! ah, 'const' is already taken)...
`foreach (auto i; 0..42)`? no-no-no! it worth nothing that newcomers
will be surprised by `foreach (i; 0..42)`, asking "where that 'i'
variable was declared?" and that 'auto' is an ideal candidate here,
as 'type placeholder for variable declaration'. nameless args for
"foreach"? no-no-no, you can't write `foreach (int, string; smth)` --
invent silly names for unused args. `foreach (; 0..42)`? heretics!
nobody will understand that arcane operator! allowing '@' before 'pure'
and 'nothrow'? no-no-no, we can't declare D mature without legacy! and
so on...

ah, and "foreach_reverse" abomination... i don't even want to talk
about this *keyword*.

please note that i'm not trying to say that D developers doing
everything wrong nor that they are incompetent. D is great. but we can
make it even better. just stop buying "enterprise need stability" bs:
we have enough "enterprise-stable" languages already, let's make one
that is attractive to programmers.