Voting: std.logger

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 2 03:25:01 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 07:10:29 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> into "std.experimental". Right now it is not in the scope of
> the review and I will simply ignore all comments that are
> related purely to implementation.

Configuration of logging is part of the API.
Conversion of objects to log info affects the API.
The API affects performance.

You need to design the API with a reference model in mind.
Without it the API has no value. That's why you need a reference
implementation in order to evaluate the API design.

> However, if there any API issues that will likely block the
> implementation you want - those are very important to hear
> about. This is #1 priority right now.

I am concerned about performance, formatting and type safety. You
need to:

1. define the use cases you want to cover
2. list the requirements
3. define a model

Only then does it make sense to define the API. If D is to have
the upper hand as a system level language then the logging must
be performant. For performant logging you might not want to do
string-formatting at all in the engine you are monitoring.