Encapsulating trust

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 2 06:15:01 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 08:24:42 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> please note that i'm not trying to say that D developers doing
> everything wrong nor that they are incompetent. D is great. but
> we can
> make it even better. just stop buying "enterprise need
> stability" bs:
> we have enough "enterprise-stable" languages already, let's
> make one
> that is attractive to programmers.

I am by all means regular advocate of changes but your are
pushing it to other radically harmful attitude. There is a huge
difference between maintaining own set of patches that work for
cases you personally use language for and maintaining feature
constantly in the publicly available upstream. Things break in
most unexpected ways when exposes to even small / medium user
bases, we have it all the time.

For example, this specific syntax is absolutely guaranteed to
result in weird issues because it is ambiguous with already
existing one (that applies attributes to declarations). In the
end it gives you _nothing_. Saving two characters for already
short idiom that is not even supposed to be easy to use is just a
joke. There is simply no way something as trivial as that is
going to pull its weight.

There is a limited amount of maintenance effort we can invest
into adding new stuff to language and it needs to be used wisely.