[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 4 01:56:46 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 31 August 2014 at 09:23:28 UTC, Nick Sabalausky wrote:
> Know what I really want to see? I wanna see some smart-ass make
> a GPL program statically linking GPLv2 code with GPLv3 code.
> Then drift it past the FSF's nose. I'd be fascinated to see
> what happens.

1. You can statically link GPL2 code with GPL3 code if you have
received the source code through proper channels. I think you are
confusing  GPL2 with Linux "GPL" which isn't GPL2. Linus removed
the upgrade clause, thus creating an island for Linux. Bad idea
in my opinion. If you want to use a license, use it unmodified or
write your own…

2. FSF becomes a party if it has copyright to the code. Otherwise
the author of the codebase is the only source for litigation. The
author can relicense the code in any license he wants. GPL is
based on international copyright treaties, it gives you rights as
a recipient (if you received it in a legal manner), but does not
take away publishing rights from the author.