[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 4 07:54:29 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 08:35:49 UTC, Ola Fosheim
Grøstad wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 08:24:37 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>> AFAIK GPL3 is incompatible with any license, which doesn't
>> address patent problem, not just GPL2. Think of it as a next
>> generation of opensource licenses.
>
> GPL3 is not incompatible with GPL2, because GPL2 has a clause
> that allows you to upgrade to any later version of the GPL.

This is wrong. By itself, GPLv2 is indeed incompatible with
GPLv3. However, many (most?) projects using the GPLv2 in fact say
"or any later version" in their licensing conditions, as
recommended by the FSF. I don't think that this is a proper part
of the license, however.

David