[OT] Microsoft filled patent applications for scoped and immutable types

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 4 20:20:23 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 14:54:31 UTC, David Nadlinger
wrote:
> On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 08:35:49 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> On Thursday, 4 September 2014 at 08:24:37 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
>>> AFAIK GPL3 is incompatible with any license, which doesn't
>>> address patent problem, not just GPL2. Think of it as a next
>>> generation of opensource licenses.
>>
>> GPL3 is not incompatible with GPL2, because GPL2 has a clause
>> that allows you to upgrade to any later version of the GPL.
>
> This is wrong. By itself, GPLv2 is indeed incompatible with
> GPLv3. However, many (most?) projects using the GPLv2 in fact
> say "or any later version" in their licensing conditions, as
> recommended by the FSF. I don't think that this is a proper
> part of the license, however.

It is:

« 9. The Free Software Foundation may publish revised and/or new
versions
of the General Public License from time to time.  Such new
versions will
be similar in spirit to the present version, but may differ in
detail to
address new problems or concerns.

Each version is given a distinguishing version number.  If the
Program
specifies a version number of this License which applies to it
and "any
later version", you have the option of following the terms and
conditions
either of that version or of any later version published by the
Free
Software Foundation.  If the Program does not specify a version
number of
this License, you may choose any version ever published by the
Free Software
Foundation.»

And the following text is recommended to be put in each source
file:

«<one line to give the program's name and a brief idea of what it
does.>
     Copyright (C) <year>  <name of author>

     This program is free software; you can redistribute it and/or
modify
     it under the terms of the GNU General Public License as
published by
     the Free Software Foundation; either version 2 of the
License, or
     (at your option) any later version.

     This program is distributed in the hope that it will be
useful,

     You should have received a copy of the GNU General Public
License along
     with this program; if not, write to the Free Software
Foundation, Inc.,
     51 Franklin Street, Fifth Floor, Boston, MA 02110-1301 USA.»