code cleanup in druntime and phobos

Nameless via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 5 05:24:01 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 2 September 2014 at 07:20:15 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> On Monday, 1 September 2014 at 22:52:46 UTC, Walter Bright
> wrote:
>> On 8/30/2014 7:37 AM, Dicebot wrote:
>>> GitHub is an intrusive closed ecosystem and it is legitimate
>>> concern for anyone caring about the open internet.
>>
>> How so? The github repositories are mirrored on my machine as
>> git repositories.
>
> git != GitHub
>
> While you may still clone the repository there is no way to use
> any of advanced / social features without creating GitHub
> account and those features are exactly why it gets used. With
> no support for anonymous / openID input it creates situation
> where you have to chose - go with competitors and lose notable
> amount of community attention or stay with GitHub even if
> actual technological features provided are sub-par. In the end
> it encourages harmful attitude "there is nothing outside the
> GitHub" which of course benefits its owners much more than any
> actual technological advantage.
>
> It is nothing unique for GitHUb I can blame them for though -
> this is how absolute majority of web services is built these
> days and I don't see it changing without any government
> regulations. Does mean I must like it.

Government control would just mean controlled by corruption. The
solution needs to be technological: a distributed github. I have
no idea how to do that but I'm sure it's possible. Until
something like that gets implemented, it seems to me that "github
or GO" (without the "TF" and with a rationale) is the best
option. It won't scale to force core contributors to collect
patches from services x, y and z.