Using D

Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 5 08:13:08 PDT 2014

On 9/5/2014 11:42 PM, Chris wrote:
> On Friday, 5 September 2014 at 14:18:46 UTC, Paulo  Pinto wrote:

> It's not a rant. I'm happier in the D world than in the Java world,
> that's all. It's only when you step outside of the Java world that you
> realize who restricted and restrictive it is. For what it's worth, Java
> is a safe enough technology for companies. Middle of the road type of
> thing.

Java has its place. I would say that Python plugins isn't it. Right tool
for the job and all that. Like you, I'm happier in the D world, but I
don't see it as a silver bullet. I'd still choose Java for particular
projects for the same reasons I'd choose Java over C++ for those same
projects. I don't find it restrictive at all (I actually enjoy it; I
also enjoy C). As long as you work within its boundaries and use it as
it's meant to be used, it works perfectly well.

That holds true for any language and, IMO, is what trips people up the
most when moving from one language to another. This is very clear when
you take, say, a Java programmer who actually likes it and one who uses
it for the day job but prefers C++ and compare their list of gripes.
Eckel's books are called "Thinking in..." for a reason.

---