Voting: std.logger

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 5 12:00:29 PDT 2014

On Friday, 5 September 2014 at 18:27:12 UTC, Dicebot wrote:
> P.S. Reason why compile-time format checking can't be added to
> base API is rather simple - it needs to be at least somewhat
> similar to one of writefln

Hm. My experience with Python for server use tells me that the
problem with dynamic languages isn't the primarily the main
execution paths, but the exceptional ones. Having to update a
server because a request erroneously fails due to a logging
statement (or typos in asserts or any other kind of debugging
statement) is annoying.

Upon further reflection I think it is important to require
logging to be a fail-safe transparent operation (conceptually
close to an annotation).

I don't think monitoring statements should be able to cause
runtime errors at all.