code cleanup in druntime and phobos

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 5 12:48:45 PDT 2014

On Friday, 5 September 2014 at 12:24:02 UTC, Nameless wrote:
>> It is nothing unique for GitHUb I can blame them for though -
>> this is how absolute majority of web services is built these
>> days and I don't see it changing without any government
>> regulations. Does mean I must like it.
>
> Government control would just mean controlled by corruption.
> The solution needs to be technological: a distributed github. I
> have no idea how to do that but I'm sure it's possible. Until
> something like that gets implemented, it seems to me that
> "github or GO" (without the "TF" and with a rationale) is the
> best option. It won't scale to force core contributors to
> collect patches from services x, y and z.

Decentralized services on their own won't change anything here
because they won't be able to compete with intrusive ones.
Concept of ecosystem lock-in didn't become so popular because of
some evil mastermind behind it - it is simply most efficient and
advantageous commercial strategy if allowed. This is why I refer
to government control - situation is not fundamentally different
from old-school monopolies. It is similarly very effective
approach you have no reason to not use as a corporation but very
harmful for society as a whole in the long term -> regulated by
the government. Of course monopoly regulations don't work that
well either because of corruption but at least there is some
expectation among masses about it. Ecosystem lock-in, quite the
contrary, is viewed as totally legit and even good.