What criteria do you take

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 5 23:34:05 PDT 2014

Am 06.09.2014 04:30, schrieb Cassio Butrico:
> What criteria do you take into consideration for the choice of a
> programming language.
> and why? does not mention what language would be, but what criteria led
> them to choose.

Depends.

At work, I just use whatever the customer asks for. Programming
languages and target platforms are already part of the request for
proposals the company receives.

The only way to choose languages is to try to get assigned to projects
using the said languages, but even then, there isn't a way to control
what versions are being used, unless it was left undefined.

If choosing for my own hobby projects, expressive, supporting the
majority of abstractions of the last 30 years that made it into the
mainstream.

Support for the desired target platforms, availability of libraries and
IDE support, including debuggers also play an important role.

--
Paulo