Automated source translation of C++ to D

Andrej Mitrovic via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 6 11:42:32 PDT 2014

On 8/21/14, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> The trouble is, D is not a perfect superset of C++, not even close

I don't think that's important for porting. To quote:

-----
Engineering teams at Mozilla and Epic ported the award-winning Unreal
Engine 3 (UE3) to the Web in just four days using the powerful
combination of asm.js and Emscripten, which enables developers to
compile C++ code into JavaScript.[1]
-----

[1] : https://www.unrealengine.com/news/epic-games-releases-epic-citadel-on-the-web

I'm still amazed that this is even possible. But it makes me think
what does JS have over D that makes this possible? I have a feeling
it's only down to the number and capability of people working on such
a project which guarantees it's success (JS is important, and the
Unreal Engine is important).