Voting: std.logger

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sat Sep 6 13:08:21 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 6 September 2014 at 19:41:54 UTC, Kevin Lamonte
wrote:
> The API automatically grabs thisTid and Clock.currTime during
> construction of the LogEntry (plus it should also grab
> Thread.getThis and Fiber.getThis).  Should this behavior be
> modifiable by clients, by subclasses, or neither?  If so, how?

I think maybe we should start with creating a high performance
inlined (for ldc/gdc) in-memory multi-threaded binary reference
logger and then extend the interface in ways that does not make
it noticeably slower using the reference logger as the baseline.
(Noticeably > 100%?)

When logging to an external logging service you might want the
logging service do the time-keeping so you don't get merged logs
from multiple servers that are out of sync. In that case
collecting absolute time locally is kinda pointless (although you
might want to submit serial numbers and relative time between
logging events from the same server).