kill the commas! (phobos code cleanup)

ketmar via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 7 07:43:09 PDT 2014

On Sun, 07 Sep 2014 14:08:30 +0000
via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> Uhm, why? For a parser you are generally better off padding the
> end with guards/sentinels and only move a pointer.
why do i need a useless argument (position in a string), if i have the
string itself, which can be easily sliced? it's not C, i don't need to
keep pointer to string head to free() it later.

> I tend to use either comparisons, regexps, splitting into phrases
> or matching on the head or tail.
regexps and splitting needs indexing, for example. at least for some
engines.

> > the whole "let's use utf-8 as internal string representation"
> > was a mistake. and i'm not talking about D here.
> Not if you want efficient I/O and want to conserve memory (which
> is what you want in a server).
if my server is just a data storage, i'll pack my data before storing.
and if i need to actually *process* my data, i'd prefer not to use
variable-length characters. memory is cheap nowdays and what is
limiting is network speed. ah, and network throughput. as for servers
-- i can use two, or three or n for that matter. smart sharding rocks,
hardware is cheap.