SCons and D

Trent Forkert via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 7 08:15:47 PDT 2014

On Sun, Sep 7, 2014 at 5:31 AM, Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d <
digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> I realize that Dub is now the "one true build system" for D code, and
> indeed I will be using it for a couple of hobby projects. However we
> need to give people a way of moving from their current code bases to
> incorporating D: we need to give C, C++ and Fortran projects an easy
> transition to incorporating some D and then increasing their percentage
> of D as they see how much better it is than C, C++, Fortran. This means
> support for D in SCons and CMake – people using Make are on their
> own ;-)

More than that, these systems need to be available for D users who
need/want to use third party code that isn't in D. Dub can't (and in my
opinion shouldn't) facilitate that.

> I am not really a CMake user (apart from compiling LDC), but I
> understand there is some support for integrating D into builds. Effort
> on this needs to be made very public and given lots of airplay. Ditto
> for SCons D support of course.

The support for D in CMake is currently very minimal. Various groups
(including LDC) have partial solutions that work to a certain extent.
However, they miss out on a handful of CMake features. I have a project (
https://github.com/trentforkert/cmake) aiming to implement proper, full
support, but there is still work to be done before it is even proposed for
inclusion upstream.

> With SCons I have reworked what was in SCons to something more useful,
> and that is now in the distribution. However, it is in need of a lot
> more work. In particular:
>
> a. It needs someone who is a Windows user to be involved in sorting out
> the Windows side of things.
>
> b. It would be good if there was an everyday OSX user involved, whilst I
> have OSX I do not use it except occasionally.
>
> I am happy doing all the Python coding and pull requests etc, but I
> clearly need WIndows and OSX (and Linux, OpenBSD, FreeBSD, Solaris,…)
> people using my SCons branch to work with the D tooling to tell me what
> breaks and how to fix it.

While my triple-booted MBP somewhat lessens my desire for OSX and Windows
assistance, it would also benefit me. FWIW, I'll try to remember to grab
SCons and test it out a bit next time I find myself in OSX or Windows.

--
> Russel.

> Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200   voip:
> sip:russel.winder at ekiga.net
> 41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk
> London SW11 1EN, UK   w: www.russel.org.uk  skype: russel_winder

 - Trent