Lieutenant needed: build and release process

Dragos Carp via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 8 12:51:57 PDT 2014

On Monday, 8 September 2014 at 01:30:02 UTC, Andrei Alexandrescu
wrote:
> Andrew Edwards has done a great job with the recent release,
> but needs to step down because he's busy with other pursuits.
>
> We need a release lieutenant who would carry us through the
> release process. Please tender your application by replying to
> this.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Andrei

It may sound a bit radical, but I think the release process can
be simplified a lot, if the 3 github repositories (dmd, druntime,
and phobos) would be merged.

For example, personally I find it quite annoying working with 3
different repositories for simple tasks as compiling a previous
phobos library with debug symbols or such.

The simple existence of tools like dvm or digger is a proof that
more people have the same problems. I know that these tools do
more than building sources from the 3 repositories, but on the
other hand there are also a lot of other tasks that these tools
does not support.

Speaking about a new release lieutenant, I can imagine that
working with 3 repositories instead of 1 is quite of a burden.
Think about the beta and release candidate phase... instead of
one list of open items you have 3 of them, each with own
specialties, maybe some correlated. It could work on paper, but
it does not fit in one's head (at least not in mine).

I have collected a few pros/cons about merging the repositories:

Pro:
- simplified release tagging and branching
- atomic commit of cross-repository changes
- easier to experiment with cross-repository feature branches
- single pull request queue offering a better overview about the
project
- easier grep, easier build
- simplified build documentation

Cons:
- migration effort (documentation, merge scripts)
- current work-flow adjustments
- the resulted repo history could be sometimes confusing
- lost github pull-request history

What do you think about this? Would it be worth the effort?
Destroy!