Lieutenant needed: build and release process

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 8 15:51:35 PDT 2014

On Monday, 8 September 2014 at 19:51:58 UTC, Dragos Carp wrote:
> I have collected a few pros/cons about merging the repositories:
>
> Pro:
> - simplified release tagging and branching
> - atomic commit of cross-repository changes
> - easier to experiment with cross-repository feature branches
> - single pull request queue offering a better overview about the
> project
> - easier grep, easier build
> - simplified build documentation
>
> Cons:
> - migration effort (documentation, merge scripts)
> - current work-flow adjustments
> - the resulted repo history could be sometimes confusing
> - lost github pull-request history
>
> What do you think about this? Would it be worth the effort?
> Destroy!

ne important (in my opinion) disadvantage misssing: considerably
harder PR maintenance (missing automatic categorization and
separation between phobos / dmd teams). Being forced to look ar
DMD pull requests to do Phobos maintenance will add lot of
context overhead for me.

I also don't feel like it will help much for release preparation.
Bisection and history investigation - undoubtedly. But for
release management building stuff is one of the easier parts.