C++ interop - what to do about long and unsigned long?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 10 16:16:06 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 10 September 2014 at 21:32:22 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> "bearophile" <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:
>> Walter Bright:
>>
>>> 1. elevate c_long and c_ulong into full fledged types.
>>
>> This looks like the simpler and cleaner solution. What are the
>> disadvantages of this solution?
>>
>> (In my opinion the C++ interop topic is way less
>> important/urgent than
>> designing and implementing the tracking/scoping of memory
>> areas in D. So
>> I am seeing a priority problem here).
>>
>> Bye,
>> bearophile
>
> C++ interoperability: 1,000,000 merit points
> Anything related to the GC: 999,999 merit points
> All else: two digits merit points

Not to go too far off topic, but C++ interoperability is at 0
merit points until you've got a GC-less standard library,
finished shared library support on all platforms, and tools that
rival those available for C++.

Clearly Walter and everyone should work on whatever they think is
important. I hope your statement doesn't imply that all
development effort is going to be put into C++ compatibility.