What criteria do you take

Alex Ogheri via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 00:51:27 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 6 September 2014 at 13:46:24 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> Am Sat, 06 Sep 2014 02:30:49 +0000
> schrieb "Cassio Butrico" <cassio_butrico at ig.com.br>:
>
>> What criteria do you take into consideration for the choice of
>> a programming language.
>> and why? does not mention what language would be, but what
>> criteria led them to choose.
>
> In a start-up:
>
> - known and been used by many developers
> - low potential of running into unsolved issues
> - rich eco-system with a potential solution for anything I
>   planned
> - lots of free/open source solutions to get started without a
>   big investment first
> - works as well for programmers on Windows/Linux/OS X
> - minimizes internal bike-shedding
>
> In other words Java. :)
> The only bike-shedding I ever had was weather we should write
> getID or getId. One says "ID" is the correct abbreviation of
> identification, the other says the field's name is "id" and
> camel case rules dictate "getId".
>

> Personally it just comes down "fun to work with" and my bias
> towards maximum efficiency and static checking through the
> compiler. D ranks very high here.
>
> + templates, CTFE and UDAs are fun to work with; it is easy to
>   do meta-programming with these tools
> + if needed also works as a "better-C"
> + can use efficient C libraries without conversion layer
> + dynamic linking allows for small native executables and
>   memory reuse of already loaded read-only segments of
>   phobos2.so.
> + lots of static checking and template constraints
> + removes friction between systems by defining long as 64-bit
>   and character arrays to be in Unicode encoding
>
> - incompatible ABI between compiler vendors requires 3
>   installations of the same lib to do testing with each
> - inline ASM syntax also diverges between vendors
> - GC implementation and efficiency issues
> - being flexible, safe and efficient at the same time is
>   sometimes a liability; e.g. File.byLine buffer reuse issue,
>   Java taking the freedom to offer inefficient operations on
>   all containers to keep them interchangeable.
>
> Before D I used Delphi. It is IMHO the best programming
> environment for efficient, native GUI applications on Windows.
> It comes with integrated compiler, linker, debugger and that
> sort of stuff and the GUI designer is integral part of the
> IDE. Most other GUI designers feel like or are an external
> tool with no interaction with the code editor.

I could not agree more!!
Delphi is simply so elegant, so efficient and at the same time
able to compile in such a quick time and generating such compact
executables that it was always wonderful to work with, albeit, in
my opinion, more in the Versions of 5 ,6,7 years ago...

thanks God, there is Lazarus now!! (pun intended!!)
Lazarus with freepascal is really a good combination, in my
opinion....