Self-hosting D compiler -- Coming Real Soon Now(tm)

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 03:35:09 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 11 September 2014 at 10:13:17 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Thu, 11 Sep 2014 11:54:08 +0200
> Daniel Kozak via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
> wrote:
>
>> What? I don't see any problem with binary blob. With gcc it is
>> same I
>> need binary blob to be able to compile gcc from source. And if
>> I am
>> really scary of binary dmd compiler I can still use last C++
>> version
>> and compile it with gcc, then use this product to compile next
>> ddmd
>> and so on.
> as i said -- good luck with it. D is not GCC (yet?), and GDC is
> not a
> part of GCC. it's very naive to assume that FOSS programmer
> that wants
> to try D will take last C++ version, then compiles it, than
> compiles
> next D version and so on. he will take either gdc from distro
> repo (and
> this will be old, if not ancient) just to find that it has no
> shiny new
> features the programmer just read about in NG, or will try to
> build
> HEAD and... and drop D, 'cause "if they make it so hard to
> build their
> compiler, they can play with it without me".

As a package maintainer I have no problem with chained building
of the compiler. Will take quite some time when its needed but
nothing critical.

There is a known issue that gcc release model is badly compatible
with one of DMD frontend (which causes certain headache with gdc
package maintenance) but it only means that gdc won't be
recommended for casual ddmd hacking and ldc will prevail for this
specific case. Don't see it as a big deal if building with gdc
still remains possible for maintainers.