C++ interop - what to do about long and unsigned long?

bachmeier via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 04:16:59 PDT 2014

On Wednesday, 10 September 2014 at 23:18:18 UTC, Walter Bright
wrote:
> On 9/10/2014 4:16 PM, bachmeier wrote:
>> Not to go too far off topic, but C++ interoperability is at 0
>> merit points until
>> you've got a GC-less standard library, finished shared library
>> support on all
>> platforms, and tools that rival those available for C++.
>
> If that were true, then D interoperability with C would be
> impossible as well. But it is possible and works well.

The difference is that the only ones wanting to interoperate with
C++ are those already using C++. And something that always comes
up in comments by C++ developers is that they need the standard
library but don't want GC.

C++ interoperability is exciting, and it can be D's killer
application, but it's a long-term project. Releasing a compiler
without regressions seems to me to be at least as important in
the short-term.