Which patches/mods exists for current versions of the DMD parser?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 04:46:26 PDT 2014

On Monday, 8 September 2014 at 16:47:15 UTC, Marco Leise wrote:
> And now we all calm down a little, ok? The D community is as
> diverse as the language and even if three people yell in the
> same tone, it doesn't mean everyone else believes the same.

I know that, but newbies don't know that. So it is important that
you voice your opinion.

It is important to nurture. That means understand why new people
are engaged and back it up if it is constructive. With 25+ years
of experience with online communities and 3+ years of full time
studies of creativity/motivation in online communities I believe
the following is close to the truth:

1. Recruiting newbies is even more important than retaining
oldbies.

- Retention is important, but most oldbies will leave (after ~3
years). This is natural and healthy.

- Some of the oldbies that stay, some do it for the wrong reasons
(e.g. the online community being their main source of self
worth), this can lead to dysfunctional situations.

2. Newbie bashing is common. Backing and understanding what
drives motivated newbies is important for growth. You need to
sustain that motivation to grow.

3. People generally don't want more work in their spare time.
They want fun, freedom and a go-happy friendly environment. So
you need to provide that atmosphere for newbies.

4. Newbies sometimes come with a fresh outlook and are a source
for understanding what aspects of the culture hold back growth
and performance.

A bunch of unwritten rules tend to lead to unpleasant situations.
It is important for a development community to align their
attitudes to the freedoms implied by the license. A Boost license
comes with a set of freedoms that I would expect the community to
back fully.

Undermining the license by unwritten rules is counter productive
for the following reasons:

1. Commercial entities will not "read" the unwritten rules. They
will look at the source code, the change log and the license.
There is no good reason for having forum members adhere to a
separate set of rules where they have their freedom restricted.

2. Unwritten rules lead to newbie bashing, because newbies cannot
possibly know the unwritten rules, which in turn leads to
recruitment problems.

The main branch is not inviting since it should aim for
stability, contributing to it is more likely to lead to
frustration than gratification.

Making your own mods is motivating since it is gratifying to be
able to add a new feature in 3 hours. Exchanging mods with other
newbies (which I am in a way) increase the motivation.

Basically, group formation nurture participation and involvement.
It is important to encourage that when opportunities arise. E.g.
when new people arrive and express enthusiasm.

> that is understood by the front-end like "!" or "~". Also you
> might want to consider adding .opSqrt for consistency.

Yes, that would probably be the more consistent way to do it in
the long run.

> very unusual. Well, it is your fork I'd say. If you ever make
> any pull requests be sure to propose one feature at a time,

I don't have any plans to make pull requests atm, I only have a
few hours per week to spend on this. However, I try to keep
changes local (which is not all that easy in parser.c).