Getting completely (I mean ENTIRELY) rid off GC

Andrey Lifanov via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 05:38:53 PDT 2014

Hello everyone! Being a C/C++ programmer I don't understand, why
such language as D (system programming language) implemented
garbage collector as a core feature, not as additional optional
module or library. I and many other C/C++ programmers prefer to
control things manually and use flexible allocation schemes that
suitable for concrete situations. When every nanosecond matters,
this is the only option, at least nowadays.

So this particular thing stops many of us from using D. When you
can abandon performance, you usually choose Java (Scala) or C#
because of their rich support and libraries. And the opposite
matter is when you need high performance. In this case there is
almost nothing to choose from. C/C++11 now looks not so bad.

And I think of idea of complete extraction of GC from D. For this
to achieve, I suppose, I have to dig deeply into D compiler and
also correct/re-implement many things in modules, so this ends up
with almost new version of D.

I would like to hear your suggestions and some basic
instructions. Maybe this is not a good idea at all or it will be
very hard to realize.

Thank you for your attention!