Self-hosting D compiler -- Coming Real Soon Now(tm)

Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 06:04:23 PDT 2014

> "Thiez"  wrote in message news:ywwfdsfqlxqcdchptota at forum.dlang.org...
> With regard to the whole self-hosting thing, perhaps it is worth copying
> the way Rust handles this:
>
> https://github.com/rust-lang/rust/wiki/Note-compiler-snapshots
>
> So in order to build one would usually download a binary compiler and use
> it to bootstrap, but in theory one can take the last version of the
> compiler before it became self-hosting, and build all the way to the
> current version (but it would take a long time).

And that's how it will work with ddmd.  Binaries will be available in the
form of releases with at least the most recent one being able to compile
master.  Exactly how many releases we maintain compatibility for is yet to
be decided.

You can always pull the last C++ version from git and use that to step all
the way up to the latest ddmd, if you feel it's important to waste lots of
your time that way.