Getting completely (I mean ENTIRELY) rid off GC

Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 08:48:23 PDT 2014

Am 11.09.2014 14:38, schrieb Andrey Lifanov:
> Hello everyone! Being a C/C++ programmer I don't understand, why such
> language as D (system programming language) implemented garbage
> collector as a core feature, not as additional optional module or
> library. I and many other C/C++ programmers prefer to control things
> manually and use flexible allocation schemes that suitable for concrete
> situations. When every nanosecond matters, this is the only option, at
> least nowadays.

Since the mid-70's there are system programming languages with GC.

Namely Algol 68(IFIP), Mesa/Cedar (Xerox), Modula-3 (Olivetti), Oberon
(ETHZ) and a few others.

They just happened to be married to OSes that weren't as successful as
UNIX jumping out of the research labs into the industry.

It is about time systems programming catches up with the 70's
innovations outside of the PDP-11 world.

--
Paulo