Self-hosting D compiler -- Coming Real Soon Now(tm)

Joakim via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 10:32:49 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 11 September 2014 at 15:24:41 UTC, ketmar via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> there is no "D committee" (thanks to all existing and
> inexisting gods
> for that!), so the only source of trust is compiler
> developer(s). if
> compiler developers avoid using new features, those features
> aren't
> "blessed", they are dangerous and all that.

This is already the case with the pure C++ version of dmd, as
David said, since D is currently not used to write any of the D
compilers.

As for your point about requiring a working D compiler installed
to experiment with building a D compiler from git, it is a valid
concern, but I don't think it's a big deal to trade raising that
small barrier to have a partially self-hosting compiler.  Maybe
it'd be better to have your D->C++ translator and keep the C++
fallback, but barring anyone willing to actually work on that,
it's obviously not going to happen.