Getting completely (I mean ENTIRELY) rid off GC

Sean Kelly via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Thu Sep 11 20:27:56 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 11 September 2014 at 20:55:43 UTC, Andrey Lifanov
wrote:
> Every experienced programmer can easily handle parallel
> programming and memory management in C++.

Eliminate "parallel programming" from that statement and I could
be convinced to believe you, though after years of diagnosing
bugs that almost invariably tied back to dangling pointer issues,
even that would be a hard sell.  But even for programmers who
really have this stuff down... how much of your code and your
mental energy with C++ is spent on memory ownership rules?  Is it
really a productive use of your time?  Does the program
materially benefit from the design required to make it safe,
correct, and self-documenting with respect to memory ownership
and data lifetime?  Are smart pointers really that pleasant to
work with?