Getting completely (I mean ENTIRELY) rid off GC

eles via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 12 00:46:02 PDT 2014

On Thursday, 11 September 2014 at 19:56:17 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
> Am 11.09.2014 20:32, schrieb Daniel Alves:

> It is incredible how Objective-C's ARC became a symbol for
> reference counting, instead of the living proof of Apple's
> failure to produce
> a working GC for Objective-C that didn't crash every couple of
> seconds.

I think I fail to grasp something here. For me, ARC is something
that is managed at runtime: you have a counter on a chunk of
memory and you increase it with each new reference towards that
memory, then you decrement it when memory is released. In the
end, when the counter reaches 0, you drop the chunk.

OTOH, code analysis and automatically inserting free/delete where
the programmers would/should have done it is not really that. Is
a compile-time approach and not different of manual memory
management.

Which one is, in the end, the approach took by Apple, and which
one is the "true" ARC?...