RFC: scope and borrowing

Manu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Fri Sep 12 18:48:53 PDT 2014

On 12 September 2014 18:06, via Digitalmars-d <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com>
wrote:

> On Thursday, 11 September 2014 at 20:45:09 UTC, Marc Schütz wrote:
>
>> On Thursday, 11 September 2014 at 16:32:54 UTC, Ivan Timokhin wrote:
>>
>>> 1. AFAIK, all current D type modifiers can be safely removed from the
>>> topmost level (i.e. it is OK to assign immutable(int[]) to
>>> immutable(int)[]), because they currently apply to particular variable, so
>>> there's no good reason to impose same restrictions on its copy. Situation
>>> seems different with scope: it is absolutely not safe to cast away and it
>>> applies to a *value*, not a variable holding it.
>>>

>> The types in your example are implicitly convertable, indeed no explicit
>> cast is necessary. This is because when you copy a const value, the result
>> doesn't need to be const. But with scope, it makes sense (and is of course
>> necessary) to keep the ownership. I don't see that as an inconsistency, but
>> as a consequence of the different things const and scope imply: mutability
>> vs. ownership.
>>

> I've addressed this in the Wiki now. There were only a few changes to be
> made to move away from type modifiers. I had even suggested it as an
> implementation detail, but didn't think of making it part of the
> specification. Thank you for that insight, it makes the proposal more
> consistent and avoids the troubles with the types.

I'm not convinced this is a good change.
It sounds like you're just trading one problem with another more sinister
problem...

What happens when a scope() thing finds it's way into generic code? If the
type doesn't carry that information, then you end up in a situation like
ref. Have you ever had to wrestle with ref in generic code?
ref is the biggest disaster zone in D, and I think all it's problems will
translate straight to scope if you do this.

This is not only inconsistent, but may also cause trouble with interaction