Stroustrup's slides about c++11 and c++14

Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 14 13:21:47 PDT 2014

On 9/14/2014 12:35 AM, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> I do acknowledge this is a problem, but I am yet to run into it in actual D
> code.  Most of my static ifs are either inside templates, inside functions, or
> are being used to bypass version's limitations.

A similar problem once existed in the druntime, which caused a bunch of
head-scratching nastiness. The problem was the person who wrote it was trying to
make an import context-dependent, i.e. behave differently depending on how it
was imported.

I replaced the offending logic with straightforward code, but it does expose
this dependency problem with static if.

The compiler should detect these sorts of things and reject them.