Stroustrup's slides about c++11 and c++14

David Nadlinger via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Sun Sep 14 15:58:42 PDT 2014

On Sunday, 14 September 2014 at 07:35:12 UTC, Daniel Murphy wrote:
> I do acknowledge this is a problem, but I am yet to run into it
> in actual D code.  Most of my static ifs are either inside
> templates, inside functions, or are being used to bypass
> version's limitations.

I tend to run into forward referencing issues all the time
"declarative" metaprogramming, i.e. when generating some code
based on existing symbols and their attributes (e.g.
serialization, RPC, …). Manu IIRC also has some related war
stories to tell.

Granted, it's not the directly the same as two ifs next to each
other conflicting (you mostly get dependencies via
__traits(allMembers, …) and so on), but whatever forward
reference resolution mechanism we choose must be able to handle
both the same.

David