Stroustrup's slides about c++11 and c++14

Andrei Alexandrescu via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 15 11:39:27 PDT 2014

On 9/15/14, 11:17 AM, bearophile wrote:
> Andrei Alexandrescu:
>
>> C++ intelligentsia seems to have a superiority complex with regard to
>> D, and that's entirely understandable.
>
> D and C++ compete for a similar programming niche, but C++ is so much
> widespread compared to D, that it's like comparing a blue whale with an
> ant.

Just for fun...

Blue whale mass: 190,000 kg on average (Adult)
Typical red/black ant mass: 0.003 to 0.005 grams
Ratio: 38,000,000,000x

Rough estimates for the size of the D community (based on dmd downloads)
would place it in the tens of thousands. C++ users would be over 1
million. So...

> In practice there is no real match and competition. D is not going
> to replace C++ in the next few years, and probably it will not eat a
> significant percentage of the C++ pie. So I think it's a good idea to
> have a little more collaboration between the two language communities.
> Such "superiority complex" is not going to help any one.

You may be misunderstanding something. You're telling this to the wrong
people.

Andrei