Increasing D's visibility

Thomas Mader via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Mon Sep 15 20:53:08 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at 01:43:15 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> That would be exactly what's needed. Who's volunteering?

I guess I already somehow did.
I am in the "progress" of building a benchmarking suite:
https://github.com/ThomasMader/benchmark

Currently it is possible to benchmark some of the benchmarks from
benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org.
For the moment I start with Java and port the benchmarks directly
to D and benchmark dmd, gdc and ldc versions. I also benchmark
the compilation because I find it important for a language
comparison. I plan to include other languages which make sense
(like C++) to compare them against D but not the full set from
the benchmarksgame.

I would like to make it platform dependent. (Win, Linux, Mac)
In the moment it's Linux only though and measures everything
exactly the same as on
http://benchmarksgame.alioth.debian.org/play.html with the
exception of code-used.
I tried to keep out external dependencies so I am not using
libGTop for the measurement but implemented it myself.
I am not sure if the code-used measurement is meaningful or not
so if anybody has some arguments please elaborate.

Everything is printed to stdout only for now because
serialisation is missing. I have not yet decided which format I
use but I don't want to implement something. It needs to be in
phobos. I thought about JSON or XML but AFAIK the phobos
implementations will be replaced in the future. It should be
widely accepted and should have less overhead. (Don't like XML
for that matter)

If anybody has some remarks regarding any matter don't hesitate
to put them here.

This is a fun project for me to get to write and learn D and
maybe help D to get some more attention.
But don't expect fast progress. ;-)

Thomas