Which patches/mods exists for current versions of the DMD parser?

monarch_dodra via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 16 11:53:33 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at 17:16:28 UTC, Iain Buclaw via
Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 8 September 2014 10:37, Daniel Murphy via Digitalmars-d
>> Attempting to fork D's syntax is harmful to D.  Please stop.
>
> You can't stop people from exercising their Freedom #1 (modify)
> and #3
> (redistribute modified copies) of software under a free license.

Right, but I think that fits in nicely with the "You have the
right to do it, but I can decide you are an asshole for it".

For instance, I can't stop Ketmar from bitching about the
"problems" with D, and how his solutions are our godsend, but I
can decide that he is also an entitled prick who's not even worth
taking the time writing off.

> Anyway, it's never been of harm to anyone.  Take Amber for
> instance,
> which is a very obvious fork of syntax, right down to a "What
> we fixed
> about D" page.
>
> https://bitbucket.org/larsivi/amber/wiki/Diff_D1
>
> Iain.

I'd say it's really a matter of how and why you are doing it, and
how you are presenting it. The way Ola presented his work looked
more like experiment and proof of concept. It's constructive. The
changes (mostly) adhered to D's current philosophy. I think he
was just trying to find out who was doing the same, and I have no
trouble with it.

I can see Dicebot's point of view, but I think it totally blew
out of proportions after the 1st post.

However, gratuitous (and deliberate) forking of the language just
to address your own petty design issues I have more problems
with. Sure you can do it, but I think that if you do, you should
GTFO.