D (and Groovy) in the Benchmarks Game [was Increasing D's visibility]

Russel Winder via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Tue Sep 16 23:25:15 PDT 2014

On Tue, 2014-09-16 at 21:04 +0000, Peter Alexander via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
[…]
> I'll take a stab at it. Will give me something to do on my
> commute :-)  (assuming his scripts work, or can be made to work
> on OS X).

I started doing something similar for Groovy a while back (with
@CompileStatic, Groovy should now be as fast as Java for all the
benchmarks) but ran out of cycles and had to put it on the back burner.
If I could track and chip in with a D variant, mayhap this will help get
the Groovy/Java version back on track.

I would run the codes on my ancient dual Xeon workstation, so slow for
sequential but excellent for dealing with scaling issues. I could easily
run D codes as well as the C, C++, Fortran, Java and Groovy ones.

For D I would suggest C, C++ and Fortran as the comparison languages.
Using the codes Isaac uses would seem entirely appropriate for this,
then D is the only variable (other than the machine used for the tests).
For the Groovy version my intention had been to use Isaac's C++ and Java
as the comparison languages.

I had always been intending to publish the results via my own server by
adding an extra virtual address to my Apache instance, however if there
is a possibility of joining forces with a D activity "in the Cloud", I'd
be happy to do that.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at winder.org.uk