Which patches/mods exists for current versions of the DMD parser?

via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 17 00:33:41 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at 16:35:41 UTC, Joakim wrote:
> As I said, I think you're focusing on the license too much, as
> any open source license allows forking, though you're right
> that the MIT/BSD licenses usually provide more incentive to do
> so.  Regardless of the license, some here view fragmenting
> dialects as a problem, ie the specter of fragmentation exists
> whatever the open source license chosen.

Ok, but is it then ok if a "forked syntax" looks like Algol? Is
it still an unhealthy fork? Why does it matter whether DMD or
clang is underneath?

Walter keeps stating that he wants the forum behaviour to be
professional. To me that means that the team that publish a
product stands behind it in public, that includes the license,
then keep the bickering internal to the team. If you sell an item
with an instruction manual, you don't blame the user for pushing
the wrong button if the instruction manual was flawed. You fix
the instruction manual!

X11 was published under MIT style license. It was (partially?)
funded by a consortium. Member companies got advance access to
the source so they could ship physical X displays with the latest
X version before the public got access. This is to me captures
the spirit of BSD/MIT style licenses. You get to do what you
want, no strings attached, but the primary concern is to be
commercial friendly.

Semiotics matter.  And MIT/BSD is associated with a tradition and
a set of expectations, and so is GPL.

1. From MIT/BSD I expect commercial friendly to be first concern,
community secondary. I expect the community to be more carefree.

2. From GPL I expect community friendly to be first concern,
commercial secondary. I expect the community to be more
emotionally involved.

I think there is some anecdotal evidence that GPL projects often
are better at grooming/growing their communities and that the GPL
forks are merged back after a while (xemacs/se linux?), while BSD
fork more easily and cooperate by copy-pasting back and forth
between forks?

> muddied the waters.  However, I think automated syntax
> translation might be a worthwhile solution for such syntax
> fragmentation these days.

Yes, that is probably right.

> Walter is well aware of the tradeoffs, as he's had his own code
> misappropriated before and still thinks the potential benefits
> of closed tools are worth it:

Yeah sure, I already pointed out that I am certain that the
implications of the license choice was deliberate to the original
author.