Example of the perils of binding rvalues to const ref

Arjan via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 17 01:52:56 PDT 2014

On Tuesday, 16 September 2014 at 15:30:49 UTC, Andrei
Alexandrescu wrote:
> http://www.slideshare.net/yandex/rust-c
>
> C++ code:
>
> std::string get_url() {
>     return "http://yandex.ru";
> }
>
> string_view get_scheme_from_url(string_view url) {
>     unsigned colon = url.find(':');
>     return url.substr(0, colon);
> }
>
> int main() {
>     auto scheme = get_scheme_from_url(get_url());
>     std::cout << scheme << "\n";
>     return 0;
> }
>
> string_view has an implicit constructor from const string& (see
> "basic_string_view(const basic_string<charT, traits,
> Allocator>& str) noexcept;" in
> https://isocpp.org/files/papers/N3762.html). The function
> get_url() returns an rvalue, which in turn gets bound to a

Forgive me my ignorance but  get_url() returns a std::string (on
the stack), so its address can be token.
And iirc the explainer Scott Meyers explained once "iff you can
take its address its not a rvalue its a lvalue". So isn't the
get_scheme_from_url() not simply holding a const ref to
temporary? (which most compiler warn about)

...Or am I missing the point?