releasing a d program

Dicebot via Digitalmars-d digitalmars-d at puremagic.com
Wed Sep 17 08:45:57 PDT 2014

On Saturday, 13 September 2014 at 22:37:05 UTC, Vlad Levenfeld
wrote:
> Pardon my ignorance but I've really got no idea how this works -
> I've got a program I've been building in D on Linux and I can
> move it between Linux machines but only if I install all of the
> dependencies (and modify some of the code). I want to release
> something like a precompiled binary or installer package for
> Windows, Mac, possibly Android, iPhone, etc. Just something for
> testing, for now. Something that can just install and run
> without
> stressing the user out. Where do I start?

This actually may be a question much more appropriate to main D
newsgroup than you think :) I am afraid there are no clear
guidelines.

In my personal opinion you can't and shouldn't do that. It is not
that different from releasing C or any other native application
really - pretending portable releases are possible is just asking
for some trouble, sooner or later. I have yet to see a single
problem that tries to do that with satisfactory result.

For best compatibility between Linux distributions you should
read about http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_Standard_Base ; as
for other operating system I doubt there can be anything better
than sticking to official distribution guidelines for that
platform.

I think best course of action is to simply make source code as
cross-platform as possible (and document all assumptions) so that
any interested party can provide a native package. But of course
I am biased being one of inafamous linux package maintainers.